Civic Center Library Open for Visits, Appointments Not Needed
Monday–Friday: 1:00–6:00 p.m.
We are excited to announce the Civic Center Library is open for in-person visits, no appointment needed. Curbside Pickup of library materials, that have been placed on hold and are ready for pick up, is still an option. For the health and safety of Library patrons, indoor capacity is slightly reduced, outlined by the State/County. Masks and social distancing are required, plus a brief health screening is performed at the entrance, including a temperature check.
Services Currently Available
- Visit to search catalog, pick up holds or browse library materials and check out.
- Public computers available for a 45-minute session. Printing from public computers is available. Copying/scanning/faxing is not available yet.
- Holds/book pickup – If your book holds are ready for pick up and you prefer not to enter the Library, staff will assist you at the entrance. Give your Library card to staff and they will retrieve and checkout your held books and bring them out to you.
- Tax form pickup – Some tax forms have arrived at the library. Call ahead before making your trip, to ensure the library has your form in stock. Tax forms can be picked up with the help of staff at the entrance of Civic Center Library. See the Tax Help page for more information.
- Any books to return should be placed in the outside book drops. No book returns will be accepted inside. Library of Things items can be returned in the lobby.
Services Currently Unavailable
- Copying/scanning/faxing, study tables, study rooms, meeting rooms.
- Magazines (staff can retrieve – Reading Room is closed to public except as an emergency exit).
- Library of Things checkout.
Onsite Visit Frequently Asked Questions
- Why aren’t you offering onsite visits to the Rincon and Springtown branches?
The Library will provide onsite visiting to the branches once it is ensured that the service is operating safely and smoothly, pending availability of staffing and supplies.
- Why are you only offering onsite visits from 1:00–6:00 p.m., Monday–Friday?
The Library is limiting hours to enable staff to implement the service in a safe and orderly manner. Staff will consider increasing these hours should demand remain high, pending availability of adequate staffing and supplies.
- Why can’t I checkout Library of Things items?
The California State Library’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance suggests that “Libraries should limit loans of games and toys” and “Items should be placed in labeled bags for ease of pick-up and to avoid unnecessary contact with the items.” This could change as the County enters new Tiers, as part of the State’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy.
- What safety precautions are being taken?
- Limiting number of people in the library and requiring social distancing.
- Disinfecting catalog computers, self check computers, and other high touch surfaces between appointments.
- Requiring masks to be worn at all times.
- Quarantining returned materials for 7 days.
What if I can’t wear a mask?
Call the Civic Center Library at 925-373-5505 between 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, for alternative service options.
- Why is food and drink no longer allowed inside the Library?
Food and drink is no longer allowed because we need people to keep their masks on at all times.